BMW 335D Limited Slip Differential by Wavetrac
"Torsen" is short for "Torque-Sensing" and "LSD" stands for "Limited Slip Differential." The point of an LSD is to provide power to TWO wheels instead of one, for better traction. The torque-sensing feature is intended to sense when one side is spinning faster than another, and direct more energy to the side with better traction, to keep the vehicle moving.
Additional Parts Needed if doing your own machining
Special Tool Required:
50mm axle wrench found here
Most Torsen LSD's still divide power between both sides. For example, say you have one wheel on pavement and another on dirt, it will send 75% of the torque to the side on pavement, and 25% to the side on dirt. This is okay, because the side that's on dirt will eventually catch up, and it will be 50/50 again. But what happens if one powered wheel has no traction is off the ground? For example, this may happen in a track car with super-stiff suspension, as it rounds a corner at high speed.
- Fully assembled differential carrier ready to install, just add fluid
- Ring gear removed from factory differential, machined, and installed on Wavetrac differential with ARP hardware. All work performed by Wavetrac.
- All seals and dust shields replaced
- Bearings Checked (cores with bad bearings will not be accepted)
- (2) 1L Motul 75w90 300 Gear Oil Available Here
- Fully assembled units are usually in stock, no downtime!
- $600 core
Here is a DIY Guide for installing an LSD in a 335D