BMW X5 35d DDE / ECU REMOVAL GUIDE
X5 35d DDE REMOVAL GUIDE
1) Open hood. Looking at the front of the vehicle, DDE is located at the left rear corner of the engine compartment, under the plastic cowl. Turn the clips in red 90 degrees to loosen cowl panel.
2) Clips loose, pull the cover up at the middle and you will see that it slides out. Be careful not to put weight or stress on the plastic around so you don't crack it.
3) Unplug electrical connection for air quality sensor. Turn clips 90 degrees to unlock air filter cover.
4) Pull upward to pop filter off and pull out the plastic cover which holds the air filters.
5) Undo rivet plug in red. Undo orange clips to air intake. (1)unlatch front facing edge (2)swing out the inner part away from the duct
6) Pull upward by the front part and pull out air intake duct.
7) Undo metal clips in red. Undo white plastic lock on side. Then you can undo the back white plastic tab. Afterwards the ECU cover comes off by pulling upward but be careful not to snag anything.
8) In orange you see to push in #1 while sliding in direction #2 to undo connectors. Follow the order in yellow. Number 4 has side clips you push inward and pull up to unplug.
9) Move connectors/wires away from top of ecu. Pull white clips in direction of red arrows and pull up ecu to remove from plastic holder. There are clips on the other side too but they didn't hold the ecu down, they just slid off the ecu.
10) Now you have the ECU out. Do not put your fingers or anything inside the connectors.
Put the covers in the engine back on to keep any possible rain or debris from falling inside. Better safe than sorry!
Installation is in reverse order.
Be careful when putting back the ecu connections! Make sure the latch is all the way down so the plug fits in. When you move the latch upwards, you should see the plug pull inwards and look like the last picture. If not, try again. A few times of practice will make it easier.